Towards end of 2012, I thought of starting a blog. Though I had few subjects to start writing, time was a constraint. However, I am still not sure how often I would be posting here. But whenever I get time and a suitable subject, I would love to write.
The last good thing that happened to me in 2012 was my trip to a home stay near Aldur in Karnataka. So, I thought I will start writing a review on this homestay.
Okay, here it starts,
The homestay is called “The Forest Homestay” and is situated around 10 kms from Aldur towards Sringeri. For those who want to be isolated from city with limited phone network, seek privacy and wanna be near tothe nature can opt for this homestay. The roads are good. However, the last 2-3 kms has rough patches in between but it really does not matter. Moreover, I heard that it will be fixed shortly. I have been to many places and from a homestay perspective, I can say this is one of the best. When I say best, I mean best in location, food, privacy, hospitality. I will break this article on these topics to give a better insight.
1. Location and nearby places: The homestay is located amidst coffee plantations and beautiful mountains in the back drop. This is a good place for Landscape photography and trekking freaks. You can find different species of birds (early morning). You can find them from the homestay or you can take a walk in the estate. If you are lucky enough, you can spot peacocks!! The dusk would be beautiful for photography provided the sky is free from clouds from a view point which is at a walk-able distance from the homestay.
There are mountains where you can go for a short trek. Few might find it to be too short as it is just around 3-4 kms. But this would be ideal for those come to relax and who really don’t want to strain too much in trek and at the same time don’t want to stay away from it.
Campfire can be arranged in the front of the homestay. Dont worry about the clouds, it will not affect your campfire. They have an arrangement to light it during rains.
You can opt for a jeep ride at a very nominal price and go to a waterfall called Shankar Water Falls which is around 5-6 kms from the homestay. You will have to walk for around 300 meters before you go near the falls. Though this is not a very famous or a huge water fall, we liked it as it was not too commercialized. You can wet yourself there if the water force is less!!
You can plan yourself and go to few other places like Muthodi forest, Kemmangundi, Bababudangiri, Mullayanagiri.
2. Food: The food tastes good and hygenic too. We were served Rice, Egg, Chicken, Pork, Fish, Curds for lunch/dinner with Fruits during our 2 day stay. Kadabu’s with chutney and non-veg curry and Akki Rotti’s with egg burji, etc… There was not a single dish where we felt it was not up to the mark. This is what we had. If there is anything specific required, you may convey it to them in advance.
3. Privacy: The homestay is in the middle of the estate. You get complete privacy. You can play music, sing, dance, shout and there will be no one who tells you to stop. You can do this whole-day, whole-night and no one bothers about the noise.
4. Hospitality: Nuthan is the guy who looks after the homestay and an young lad named Dixit works with him. I should say, both are simply awesome. I haven’t seen such owner of a homestay, who is so energetic and helpful as Nutan. He knows exactly what guys need and he reciprocates the same in return with his hospitality and service. He takes care of the visitors and makes them feel at home. You can also include him in your trek; he might join in case he is not committed with other work. Trust me he will be a good company during the trek. Overall, hospitality is superb. Not to forget about the punctuality of these guys. You ask for it and give a time, and you won’t have to call them again – It gets done on time!!
5. Others: The rooms are clean. The toilets are clean and hygiene. There is a TV with dish connection. Indoor games like Carom, Cards are available. Outdoor games like Cricket (ground is at a walk-able distance), Badminton are available. There are 2 rooms. Even-though one room has 3 beds and the other has 2 beds, it can accommodate around 9 adults easily (in total) if necessary arrangements are done. Only Airtel and BSNL networks are available around the homestay.
6. Tariff: You get a good value for money!!
Keep up the good work guys!!
Overall, it can be rated 4.5/5. Not that it doesn’t deserve 5/5. It is just that everything and everyone has a scope for improvement!!
Note: This is not a resort. So the review and feedback made is from a homestay perspective.
You can find them on Facebook and also can check their Website.
One of our guests wrote a review on their blog http://goo.gl/PCLfA, Thank you Naveen.